Tuesday, November 27, 2007

holiday santa craft for kids




Today's craft is a Santa Claus head made out of a butternut squash. I love to use items that we eat in our crafts.
Items I used:
3 butternut squash
3 old socks
cotton balls
glue
straight pins
foam stickers
google eyes
pipe cleaners
3 pom pom balls
This craft took about an hour from set-up to clean-up.
The butternut squash cost $5.50 and the rest of the items were already in our craft box.
we used the glue and straight pins to hold everything on. I had the girls hold the items while I pushed the pins in. they were able to fluff up the beard and hair once pressed on. The beard was two cotton balls under the mouth and 1/2 a cotton ball stretched out above the mouth.
We used a blow dryer to help dry the eyes so that they didn't run down the face.
I had to help my daughters quite a bit with this craft, but they choose all of the colors and helped with each step. They were proud to display their work on the mantle. I hope to use the squash again in another future craft.

No comments: